WELCOME TO OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF MINISTRY OF FISHERIES, ANIMAL PRODUCTION AND DEVELOPMENT, ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS, RURAL INDUSTRIES, ELECTRICITY, RURAL & ESTATE INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENTRead More
To be the Pioneer Ministry of the Southern Province
To Provide the Provincial Contribution Towards Achieving the National Development Goals by Monitoring the Departments Authorities and Institutions Effectively and Efficiently for the socioeconomic Development of the Citizens of the Southern Province.
Sri Lankan parliament passed the 13th amendment to the 1978 constitution of Sri Lanka and the Provincial Council act no 42 of 1978 in the year 1988. Accordingly, nine provincial councils were created.
13th amendment of the constitution. (Certified on 14th november1987)
Provincial List (List 1)
20. Animal husbandry – Prevention, protection and improvement of stock and prevention of animal diseases within the province.
21. Subject to the formulation and implementation of the national policy in regard to development and planning, the power to promote, establish and engage in agricultural, industrial, commercial and trading enterprises and other income - generating projects, within the province without prejudice to the power of the government and public corporationsto have such enterprises and projects.
13th amendment of the constitution. Certified on 14th november1987)
Concurrent List (List III)
19. Fisheries – Other than fishing beyond territorial waters.
20. Animal Husbandry –
20:1 Production, Processing, distribution and sale of livestock and livestock products
20:2 Veterinary training services and research, inclusive of the provision of the science equipment
20:3 Animal breeding, care and health
20:4 The establishment of pastures
33. Protection of the environment
1. Mr. Albert Rathnayaka – 1989 – 1991
2. Mr. W.M. Gamage – 1991-1994
3. Mr. H.W. Wijayarathna – 1994 - 2006
4. Mrs. P.M. Thilaka Kalyani – 2006-2007
5. Mr.C.S. Lokuhetti – 2007-2009
6. Mr. A.W. Sarath – 2009-2009
7. Mr. K.A.H. Keerthirathna - 2009-2010
8. Mr. A.L.A Asoka Siriwardana - 2010-2012
9. Mrs.D.S. Pathmakulasooriya – 2012-2015
10. Mr.A.U.Welarathna – 2015-2019
11.Mr. U.G. Vidura kariyawasam – 2019
Up-to-date, operational and supervision of institutions and administrative systems in order to provide an efficient and optimum service to the Southern people based on the fisheries, livestock and rural industries sectors.
Implementation of development projects with proper utilization of physical and human resources, managing short term and long term plans under the purview of the Ministry for the economic and social development of the people of the Southern Province.
Financial Management activities of the Ministry of Fisheries and the Institutions coming under it.